Thursday, October 23, 2014

A Letter to the Editor that the Local Paper Wouldn't Run

I'm not always thrilled with social media, but the nice thing is you can get your voice out there when local media won't print it. Here's a letter to the editor my sister wrote, but the Wellsboro paper refused to run it. It's nothing slanderous. It just makes me wonder about the Wellsboro Gazette.
----------------------------------
From My Shelf Books is the type of bookstore I wish were here when I was growing up. I love to visit, and I hate to leave. I don’t know how they go home and leave all those books. Of course, I’m biased, he’s my brother.

When the store premiered their new web series in the Deane Center, the room it was held in was only rated for 50 people. There was concern that they would have too many people.

My question is, has the business known as Pop’s Culture Shoppe ever been fire rated. The shop is smaller than the room at the Deane Center, and when I was at the bookstore on a Friday night September 21st it sounded like quite a crowd. When I walked by, there were definitely more than 50 people.

I know there’s only one exit. So, my concern that the public and customers who patronize this establishment are at risk if there were to be a fire. Isn’t this a violation of fire code? For a business that runs a “family game” night. Putting area youth at risk isn't very family friendly…

Rebecca Coolidge, Wellsboro

11 comments:

  1. Anyone with any sense can see that this whole mess with Pop's Culture is them trying to take over your space. Who would want to rent the space you are in when your lease is up? No one! It's too loud. It's a shame what those people are doing to the only bookstore in the area

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I was in there Sat. morning and it was soooo loud. I don't know how you can stand it. That landlord should throw them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the article the paper did after the store won the case. The one written by Jason with the last name I can't spell. I've seen Jason in the game store a lot. I wonder how much he got paid by the owner to write that piece?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do feel this was an issue that needed addressed, and I'm actually surprised no one has brought it up. The building at 25 Main St. used to be one business, but it was divided into 3 businesses in 2012. Pop's Culture then built a dividing wall, and further fractured the space. Meanwhile, it was never evaluated for maximum occupancy as far as I know. It is a fire hazard, and I was happy to print this letter for my sister. If something were to happen, make sure the blame goes where it should. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been into the store when the game store had people in there and it was so loud. I like magic the card game, but you have better prices and not as stuckup as that store. I won't be buying anything from them agaion.

      Delete
  5. I used to subscribe to the local paper, as I grew up in Wellsboro, and I've read about the situation, and I am disinclined to believe the claims of Mr. Stam and Mr. Zavetski. I've been into the bookstore when I visit, and I've been there on a Friday night, and the amount of noise emanating from that business is stupendous. If that is not the definition of harassment, I don't know what is. I encourage everyone in Wellsboro to judge for yourself. Just go in and hear for yourself what liars the owners of the game store are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't the landlord for that building Lyda propeties LLC? I've seen their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/LYDA-Properties-LLC/121099347965611 They own a lot of property in town, and a lot of those properties have had drug overdoses. I'm not saying he's a crappy landlord, but that many drug overdoses probably isn't a coincidenc, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in the store this afternoon, and is is loud. All that noise coming across from that game store next door. I had to ask twice for the book I was looking for to be overheard. I don't believe a damn word they say, because it's obvious they are trying to run you out of business. Oh, and my cousin rented an apartment above what is now the coffee shop, and he ripped her off when she moved out. She didn't get all her security deposit back. I hear he does that with pretty much all his renters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your book store. I always visit when I visit Wellsboro on T Day. I have a relative that works at the Wellsboro Gazette. I won't mention who, because the editor would fire them. She's miserable to work for, and I was told that she's intentionally not putting articles in the paper that involve the store. What a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's "her paper!" that's what the editor say, or so I was told. I wonder if the publisher knows that? If that want to turn that paper around, maybe some new blood and a lot less of Natalie Kennedy?

      Delete