Saturday, October 25, 2008

Good "Vibes"

Kasey Cox

When presented with a wide cross-section of genres in a selection of about 20 books I could review, I choose to read & review Amy Kathleen Ryan's book, "Vibes". This book won over many other choices, because I enjoy young adult fiction, and this looked like it had something new to offer. I've read a lot of young adult fantasy & sci-fi, which I still love. I used to read a lot of books aimed at teen girls (I'm now 36), but I haven't read much lately. I've been more cautious about diving into authors like Megan McCafferty or Sarah Dessen. I probably would have liked those books when I was fifteen, but now, if I read any "chic lit", it's someone like Jennifer Weiner, whose stories are about women's issues, relationships, feelings in the way teen stories are about issues, etc. that teens relate to.

I believe Ryan's "Vibes" bridges this gap: there are thoughts, feelings, problems that people of several ages can relate to. As a woman, I related to Kristi's concerns, remembering all too well the times I felt the same way she did ... and not just when I was seventeen. I also related to, and felt sympathy for, her mom. I loved the teen boy characters, too. One of the descriptions for this book made it sound as if it were just another teen romance where "Kristi has the hots for gorgeous Gustav (Gusty) Petersen." I was so pleased to find three-dimensional, more real characters, esp. with some of the male teens. That's refreshing. The adults, and some of the peripheral teen characters, were, at times a little shallow, but it is from Kristi's perspective, and that's how she saw them -- or perhaps that's ALL she saw of them, so that's not inappropriate.

Overall, I'd agree heartily with what many teen reviewers have said -- I love Kristi's voice. With Kristi, and her struggles, author Amy Ryan adds a needed and interesting perspective on modern teen life. It's sympathetic, not dumbed-down, but also not made into an overly intense Lifetime Channel-type tragedy. This was a fun, enjoyable read. I'll highly recommend it to my teen readers, and their moms, and dads. Reading this together would provide a great chance to discuss some tough "issues", and could act as a springboard toward understanding each other's perspectives a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment