Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Choose Your Own Review

Kevin Coolidge

Before the internet, before video game consoles, before even computer games, there were Choose Your Own Adventure books inspired by a bedtime store. While Edward Packard was telling his daughters stories, he would ask them what would come next. Each daughter gave a different answer, and he turned this branching path story into what would one day become the Choose Your Adventure Book, Sugarcane Island.

Choose Your Own Adventure became one of the most popular children's series during the 1980s and 1990s, selling over 250 million copies between 1979 and 1998. Each story was written from a second-person point of view, with the reader taking the role of protagonist. The reader made choices that determined the outcome of the plot.

The books became explosively popular, and this “interactive entertainment” inspired the creation of other series—such as TSR’s Endless Quest. Kids loved the pull between narrative and interaction, but it was the same tension that was found in the emerging genre of video games, and their popularity waned.

I loved these books as a kid, and recently came across Zombie Penpal by R.A. Montgomery, the former partner of Edward Packard. I snatched it up and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though it’s for reading levels appropriate for 9 to 12 years. I thought to myself that someone should write an interactive zombie novel for adults…

Oh no! Kevin is reviewing yet another zombie book. Turn to part 1

Yeah! Kevin is reviewing yet another zombie book. Turn to part 2

Part 1: You think to yourself, “Why do I even buy this paper? There’s nothing in it. I read the letters to the editor, see who died this week, and read that taxes are going up again. I’ve had enough for one day. I’m going to bed.” Suddenly, you hear a loud knock at the front door. Who could it be? Girl Scouts? Your neighbor?

It’s late. You don’t care who is knocking. It’s bedtime. You go upstairs to retire for the night. Turn to part 3.

It’s late. No one would be knocking on your door this time of night if it wasn’t an emergency. You decide to open the door. Turn to part 4.

Part 2: I love reading about zombies. In fact, I am so prepared for the zombie apocalypse that if it doesn’t happen, I am going to be terribly disappointed. That’s why I love Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse by Max Brallier. Sure, I’ve read my share of zombie stories, but this time it’s different. This time I’m not sitting idle as a bunch of fools make all the wrong moves. This time I have a say in humanity’s survival…

Part 3: You climb the steps to bed. It’s been a long day, and tomorrow comes too soon. You awake in the morning feeling alert and refreshed. It’s going to be a great day!

Part 4: It’s late, and you really just want to go to bed, but you reluctantly get out of your recliner to answer the door. Perhaps someone has broken down and needs to use the phone, or your next door neighbor’s cat has gone missing again. You approach the door and smell the sickly sweet smell of decay. You hope the neighbor’s cat hasn’t crawled under your porch to die. You swing open the door to see a Jehovah’s Witness. It could have been worse. It could have been a zombie…

Part 1? Or Part 2? Drop me an email at from_my_shelf@yahoo.com and let me know. Miss a past column? All past columns archived at http://frommyshelf.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment