Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Cow-Pie Chronicles

Kevin Coolidge

Nothing beats a slice of my grandma’s lemon Bundt cake and cold glass of milk. My grandma would send me down to the barn to fill the glass bottle. Nothing beats farm fresh milk.

The dairy farm in Coolidge Hollow has been in the family for five generations. I spent many a Sunday afternoon plinking at rats, making hay forts, and jumping out of hay mows. I enjoyed visiting the cows, and seeing the milk pour into the stainless steel vat. I just had to be careful of the cow-pies.

If you’ve spent time on a farm, chances are you know what a cow pie is. It’s cow poop. When I saw a book called The Cow-Pie Chronicles, I just had to check it out. This book for kids 7 to 9 years old, but I enjoyed how it made me remember parts of my own child hood. I also liked the addition of a glossary with such words such as silo and stubble field defined.

The book follows ten year old Tim Slinger and his sister Dana as they grow up on their family dairy farm. Life on a farm is hard work. There aren’t any days off or milking sessions skipped. If this happened the cows’ udders would get too full and get upset, and stop producing milk.

There are lots of chores to be done. The cows poop everywhere and someone has to shovel it. There are fences to be mended and apples and pears to be picked, but there is fun and adventure too. There’s the sport of cow skiing, and the neighbors bull to tease, and then there’s the rope swing.

Growing up in the country is different than the city. Author James Butler grew up on a farm. He spent the first eleven years in the Midwest on a dairy farm. This book is based on his experiences as a farm boy in the 1960s. Those years were often filled with hard work and adventure, but they served him well…

If you'd like to buy this book, why not buy it where you tried it? Simply click on the photo below, or the title, highlighted throughout this post, to purchase the book at From My Shelf Books & Gifts, and to support the writers of this fine blog ;) We thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment