Saturday, June 11, 2016

Kronos Rising: Kraken (Volume 1): My Idea of a Beach Read



I love summer, but with work, writing and mowing the lawn, I read less. I still make time to read every day. It just takes me longer. I just finished Kronos Rising: Kraken (Volume 1) and I'm glad I took the time to read it. It's the follow-up to Kronos Rising by Max Hawthorne. You can read the review I wrote about it here.

Kronos Rising is an award winning book, but I didn't read it because of that. I read it to read about a giant reptile eating people.
In Kronos Rising, a kronosaurus is introduced to the modern ecosystem of the oceans. A small, breeding population has survived. One of these prehistoric predators rises from the depths to terrorize a coastal community that won’t be idyllic soon.

As we open to the events of Kraken, thirty years have passed since the destruction of Paradise Cove. Since then, pliosaurs the size of whales have wreaked havoc on the world’s oceans. Despite tragic losses, Garm Braddock and his brother Dirk wage a bloody war of attrition against the voracious marine reptiles: Garm from the helm of the anti-biologic submarine Gryphon and his brother from the top-secret military research facility known as TARTARUS.

In spite of ongoing attempts to destroy them, the prehistoric predators that rose from the ashes of Diablo Caldera continue to multiply. They are bringers of death, and via more than just their deadly jaws. Their blood contains a primeval pathogen so virulent that, left unchecked, could spell the end of mammalian life.

Meanwhile, in the icy darkness of the deep, an evil as ancient as the dinosaurs stirs in response to the changes in Earth’s oceans. Rising hungrily to the surface, it brings with it an intellect as cold as the abyss and an irrepressible need to destroy and devour and conquer.

I enjoy marine terror, and if you do too, I suggest checking it out. Max did his homework, and it tells in the story, and the story is what's important. It's interesting speculation on what would happen if prehistoric creatures were let loose in the current ecosystem. It's Jurassic World on steroids. It's a fun, fast read even if you have to take the kids to the ball game and mow the lawn.






No comments:

Post a Comment