Saturday, February 23, 2008

Comfort Food

Kasey Cox

My friend Lyn* and I brainstorm out loud, trying to think of an appropriate book for her thirteen year old son, Christopher*. It’s not that he doesn’t like to read. Chris LOVES to read. Chris reads so much that he got in trouble for reading his book during class instead of listening to the lecture his teacher was giving – or, rather, he would have gotten in more trouble, if his teacher didn’t think it was so great that a boy his age likes to read that much. But Lyn and I are trying to think of different books for Chris to read, because Chris only likes certain series, and mostly he just reads the same books in those series over and over and over and OVER, until, finally, a new book in that series is released. We are trying to think of something else he would like, something with the same flavor, the same sort of characters or writing style, but a new book that he hasn’t read yet and would be at least willing to try. A book that would stretch him a little bit. (*names changed to protect the not-so-innocent).

Likewise, when I meet with the book club I’m currently involved with, we try to come up with books to read that will challenge us a little. Books that most of us will enjoy reading, but, at the same time, books that most people in the group haven’t read yet. The point is to try something new, and also to find a book that has enough meat that we can discuss it. A two-hour meeting isn’t very stimulating when all we can do is look at each other and say, “Yeah, it was pretty good” and “I liked it.”

I also try to write reviews about books on which there is a lot to say. There has to be some catch – the subject matter fills an unusual niche, or the author chose an odd perspective on a common event. Using the main book under discussion as a way to segue into mentioning other books of similar interest or topic usually makes for some interesting things to say, as well.

But the books I want to read this time of year don’t really match any of these criteria. Just recently, I re-read an old favorite of mine, Barbara Michaels’ mystery novel, “Houses of Stone.” I have to admit to Chris* that I have already read it several times. I began to think of it again, in light of the “Antique Book Roadshow” – it’s about an old manuscript that may quite possibly be a previously undiscovered, unknown, and – most importantly to the professors and historians hot to get to it – unpublished early American gothic novel. I remembered how much I’d enjoyed this book, how well it’s written, and what a great story it is. So I read it again, and I’m pleased to report I enjoyed it just as much this time, if not more. Reading a great book again is like comfort food. Do you ever get tired of your grandmother’s chocolate chip cookie recipe, or your mom’s macaroni and cheese? Maybe if you ate them every day – a point that doesn’t seem relevant to a thirteen year old boy – but otherwise, they’re still a treat.


Admit it, how many times have you read your Louis L’Amour? Or Harry Potters? Tell Hobo all your secrets at from_my_shelf@yahoo.com Missed Hobo’s list of favorite books? They’re archived at http://frommyshelf.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment