Saturday, August 9, 2014

My Parents Open Carry

Kevin Coolidge

I love books. Books of all kinds, but I don't read them all. I couldn't if I wanted, and sometimes there's a book I don't want to read. I often hear an authors talk about his book and say, "this book is for everyone." I can understand wanting to hit the widest demographic for sales, but not every book is for every person.

As a voracious reader, and a bookseller, I do feel there is a book for everyone. If you enjoy an activity, hobby, or have an interest in anything, chances are there is a book about it. My Parents Open Carry is such a book. I grew up in rural Pennsylvania and my relatives hunted. My dad shot black powder, and I couldn't wait until I could own my first gun.

My fist gun was a shotgun I bought with my own money as soon as took the required safety class. I hunted a few years, but enjoyed walking through the woods more than I ever did hunting. Most people I knew had a gun, many had several. The first day of deer season is a Pennsylvania holiday. Guns and hunting are important where I grew up.

I found out that not everyone is comfortable with a gun, and I was reminded of this when this book garnered national attention. I don't open carry. I haven't read the book. I'm curious about it and what other people think of it.

I'm not opposed to open carry done right, but open carry has gotten a lot of press, and most of it isn't good. I still own my first gun, but it stays home in the closet with a box of shells. How do you feel about guns? What do you think about open carry?

No comments:

Post a Comment