Monday, May 12, 2014

Demon Trapper's Daughter

Kevin Coolidge

The great thing about working in a bookstore is that I get to read a lot. The downside is that I feel I have to read a lot. I often start a book series so that I can give an informed opinion, but often if the series isn't finished, or if my backlog is too high, I end up leaving a series unfinished.

I don't do this to a series that really catches me. There are lots of good books out there, but a book that keeps me up even after I should turn off the light is not as common as it once was. A recent series that did just this was The Demon Trapper series written by Jana Oliver.

The book was recommended by my friend Jen. She mentioned a Biblio-Fiend. Biblios are about three inches tall, have burnt-mocha skin and peaked ears. They're demons that are into books--into destroying books. It sounded terrible as book lover, but a great premise for a story, and for the web series I'm working on with my friend Bill Robertson.

Jen told me she has read all four books in the series, and suggested I read at least the first one. I thought I should learn a little more about these fiends. I totally got swept up in the story. The protagonist is a strong, spunky female named Riley, who is the daughter of a famous demon trapper.

It's our world, but a little twisted. Demons are real, and have been a menace to society for centuries. The series takes place mostly in Atlanta, and the Big Peach has become a little rotten. Demons have always been a hazard, but the reach of Hell has grown longer.

Riley has to prove herself, not only as the first female to become a demon trapper apprentice. With every Hell-spawn knowing her name, her job just got tougher. Can she prevent a war between Heaven and Hell and still get her homework done?

I was only going to read the first book to get the feel of the series, but the book was so well-written, the premise intriguing, and the back story masterfully blended into the narrative. I kept reading. I don't always read all the books in a series back to back, but I just had to read the next one, and the next one...


No comments:

Post a Comment