Saturday, May 10, 2014

Vampires, Rats, and Books...

Kevin Coolidge

I love reading. I read about a topic that interests me, and I have to know more. Yes, books are a gateway drug to more books. Hey, it's cheaper than heroin, and more socially acceptable. Fiction, non-fiction, reading leads to more reading.

I enjoy the visual style and storytelling of the director, Guillermo Del Toro. When I found out he co-wrote a vampire triogy called The Strain, I had to check it out. It's a delightfully creepy tale that's hard to put down. It's hard to do something new with the vampire genre, but it's a thrilling read that kept me interested.

I especially enjoyed the exterminator character. Pest control experts just don't get the chance to be heroes that often. Del Toro is quite the reader himself, and much of his research for the rats came from the book Rats: Observations on the History & Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants.

Rats, love 'em or hate 'em. Rats are here to stay. The history of rats and mankind are intertwined. In Rats, Robert Sullivan spends a year investigating a rat-infested alley just a few blocks away from Wall Street.

Sullivan gets to knows not just the beast but the city itself. Sullivan is an urban Thoreau. The book is part nature writing, part history of NYC. He takes you deeper into the world of rats than most people would ever go by themselves. New Yorkers have always shared their city with the rat, and the rat isn't going anywhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment