Thursday, March 5, 2015

Saying Goodbye to the Wired Rooster


I grew up in Wellsboro, and I can still remember a vibrant Main Street. My Uncle Bill would take my sisters and me out for ice cream. We'd go to Cuda's and then sit on a bench or in the car and watch people walk by.

I'm still watching what happens on Main Street, and I'm not happy about it.Today, I heard that Wellsboro is losing another funky and cool little shop, the Wired Rooster. There are several places to get coffee in Wellsboro, but the Wired Rooster has that special something.

I remember many a night writing with my friends at Mister Donuts, which is now Dunkin Donuts. It wasn't exactly an atmosphere conducive to writing, but it was always open, the coffee was always hot, and there was always something to write about.

It wasn't always easy to write though. There would be strange looks from both customers and the workers. The harsh fluorescent lighting would hurt your eyes, and the uncomfortable plastic seats were designed for you to drink your coffee and leave. Sometimes coffee needs to be gulped, and sometimes savored.

The Wired Rooster reminds me of a place where I could take my time with my drink, Penny Lane in Boulder Colorado. I went to massage school in Boulder, and one of my classmates was also a singer. She'd play her guitar some evenings, and several of us from school would go and get a tea, or an espresso and listen to the music and watch the people walk by.

I loved the idea of the Wired Rooster, and what it was becoming. I didn't hang there much, because I'm always busy. I have my own business during the day, and at night I work on my writing, but I usually start my day with a dose of caffeine in the form of a double espresso from the Wired Rooster.

The Wired Rooster announced today that their last business day will be Tuesday March 31st. If you haven't stopped by, check out what Wellsboro is going to be losing. It's a fun atmosphere and I'm going to miss it.

Coffee is important to writers. We run on caffeine. I might be able to buy it somewhere else, but it always gives me an extra boost to buy it from the Wired Rooster. It's the kind of coffee shop that I wish were in Wellsboro when I was growing up. It's the kind of coffee shop that Wellsboro needs...


3 comments:

  1. Hey Kevin, didn't know you went to massage school in Boulder. I taught at CU-Boulder for three years and know Penny Lane well! I even did a poetry reading once at the Naropa Institute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aikido teacher taught at the Naropa Institute.

      Delete
  2. uggh, I heard that the vapid vape shop is going in where the Wired Rooster was. The asshole landlord closed it so a vape shop can go in?

    ReplyDelete