Saturday, September 22, 2007

"The 10 Minute Play"

Kevin Coolidge

“Turn on, tune in, and drop out”- it was good advice forty years ago, and it’s even better advice today. Today’s world moves at the speed of sound, the sound of pagers, and beepers, and cell phones. Today’s world moves at the speed of light, of email, and text messages, and the World Wide Web, surrounding us 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Days aren’t long enough: the week, too long. Caffeine and nicotine are my friends, my companions, my crutches, the only way I can get from one brutal second to the next. Sometimes in the split second of silence between the double espresso and the next drag on my cigarette, I can swear I can feel my hair grow.

That’s right-I grew up with MTV, microwaves and sound bytes beamed directly into my brain in fifteen to thirty second images. So, is it any wonder that I love the 10-minute play? The 10-minute play is one of the hottest trends in American theatre today. Look at the schedule for any small or medium-sized theatre and you are bound to find a short play festival. In the time you can change a light bulb, eat a slice of pepperoni pizza, or clean the litter box, you can see an actual play, a piece of culture for the ADD in all of us.

I love the short play festival for several reasons: the variety of plays from comedies to drama, and if I happen to not like one, hey it’s only minutes before it’s over; a great opportunity for a novice to try his hand at acting; and great chance for a beginning writer to actually get something finished. You gotta love that instant gratification.

I mean a ten-minute play, how long could it take to finish? But shorter doesn’t mean easier on any level, and to save time I recommend Perfect 10, Writing and Producing the 10-Minute Play by Gary Garrison.

Gary Garrison is a playwright and producer in New York City. He has written and produced the traditional three-act play and the one act play as well as producing NYU’s ten-minute play festival. He demystifies the process of writing and producing the ten-minute play by breaking it down structurally, dramaturgically, and theatrically. You’ll learn what to do and what not to do and how to write a play that’s not greeted with an automatic rejection letter.

There are 5 examples of ten-minute plays by 5 different playwrights, a chapter for producers and directors, tips and structure, and some theatres who accept submissions for the ten minute plays-check out our own local theatre group at www.hamiltongibson.org -and suggestions to get yourself ready to write one, instead of just jumping into the process.

This book is short, easy to read, witty and well written, more than just a how- to guide, and great for exploring this exciting new genre. It’s no magic bullet. The author lets you know that writing is hard work, but this book can help you avoid some of the major pitfalls. So, take 5, smoke ‘em if you got ‘em, and get out that first play. Now, where did that cat hide my smokes???

No comments:

Post a Comment