Monday, September 24, 2007

A Father's Legacy: Fact or Fiction?

Kasey Cox

My dad reads history books for fun. I’m sure many of you can relate, but I, however, have often found my dad’s hobby perplexing. For Dad, the best books present the down-to-the-minute detail of battles, examine every word of a president’s letters to friends, follow the explorer each painful step of the journey. Yes, it’s interesting, but I’m talking 1,000 pages of details. A daunting task for even us dedicated readers.

When I was growing up, my dad, the lifelong history major, took us to battlefield memorials instead of to amusement parks. As a child, I drew pictures of civil war soldiers more than doodles of Mickey Mouse. I’m sure this pleased my dad, the way this interest in history soaked into me. What didn’t please him was my desire to read historical fiction. I was enamored of the TV mini-series “The Blue and the Gray”, and soon after, began reading John Jakes’ “The North and the South” trilogy. Dad frowned upon this. Too many Southern belles with bosoms heaving and laudanum addictions, I think. Not enough “hard” history, not enough fact. The fact of the matter is, I still prefer fiction. Ironically enough, to make history most real to me, I need it connected to the stories of individual people, and no one seems to do that better than novelists.

Enter Jeff Shaara. My dad introduced me to him by way of the author’s personal life history. Jeff’s father was Michael Shaara, Pulitzer-prize winning author of The Killer Angels. Michael Shaara was at work on the second book in his trilogy on the American Civil War when he died. Not a writer or historian himself, Jeff vowed to finish his father’s work. And the books Jeff finished for his dad are excellent, critically-acclaimed. But when he spread his wings and started his own work, with books on the American Revolution, World Wars I and II, and the Mexican-American War, he surpassed his father. I have just recently finished To the Last Man, Jeff Shaara’s book on WWI. Mind you, it is, technically, historical fiction. But just barely. Bestselling history writer Joseph Persico praises Jeff Shaara’s “rarest of writing gifts, making literature read like history and history read like literature. He brings … [history] to pulsating life.” His books are “fiction” only in that Shaara creates thoughts and dialogue for these historical figures, based on impeccable research, but ultimately, on his imagination.

In most of his books, Jeff Shaara focuses mostly on the events surrounding the major figures – the generals, the leaders of the countries involved. Shaara explains in his preface of To the Last Man how this book is different: he tells about WWI through the perspective of just four people. In this way, the story isn’t comprehensive or all-inclusive, but it is incredibly powerful. The four people are General John J. Pershing, THE commander of all U.S. forces when America finally enters the war; Baron Manfred von Richthofen, “the Red Baron”; Raoul Lufbery, of the Lafayette Escadrille; and Private Roscoe Temple, U.S. Marine Corps.

Well, if you’re like me, the only reference I have to “the Red Baron” is … Charles Schultz’s Snoopy fighting him from the Sopwith Camel. It turns out Richthofen’s life, just his personal history and career alone shed tremendous light on the war and the time period itself. And I had never heard of the Lafayette Escadrille – the Americans who went to France to fly the airplane, just in its infancy as a weapon of war, way before the U.S. reluctantly decided to join the fray. Now, I’m hooked on every word I can find about these guys. (Yeah, go ahead and rent the movie “Flyboys”; the fight scenes in the air are quite realistic, I think. But then do yourself a big favor and read about the REAL people. As far as I can find out, all the characters from the movie are fiction.)

And there it is: did you see that? I crossed over. Maybe historical fiction isn’t as engaging as fact, after all. Certainly, it depends some on who is conveying the story. I, obviously, give Jeff Shaara an enthusiastic recommendation. With him, Dad and I both win.

No comments:

Post a Comment