Saturday, September 22, 2007

"Don't Forget to Flush"

Kevin Coolidge

Stories, the strands in the web that bind humanity together- I’ve always loved to read. When other kids were playing baseball and blowing up frogs, I was reading, exploring the wonderful world of my imagination, stretching my synapses. I could lose myself for hours in the tales of Tarzan, the conquests of Conan, slaying foes and saving fair maidens.

I guess I am a perpetual Peter Pan. I really don’t see the point of growing up. I mean. There’s no future in it, just like work. If you do a good job, the boss expects a good job all the time. The reward for a job well done seems to be more work. At thirty- seven I am expected to have a career and a retirement plan. My retirement plan is to win the lottery. I think I need a new plan.

Hmmm, maybe I should be a writer. I think the best authors never really do grow up, or maybe it’s that they still remember what childhood was like. One of my favorite authors, Carl Hiaasen, is one of those writers. Known for his manic, eccentric tales of crime, political corruption with strong environmental themes set in Florida, Hiaasen has written two children books that I highly recommend, “Hoot”, winner of a Newberry Honor award, and “Flush”.

These two books offer young readersdaring adventures, humor and an opportunity to sort out what’s right and wrong. There are bullies, the frustration of growing up, and a “kids can do it” message. Hiaasen’s good guys are resourceful, brave and not afraid to do the right thing, and yet they contain enough human flaws to make them believable and endearing. His bad guys are villainous, greedy, and not always the sharpest knives in the drawer-the type of guy that you can’t wait for his bad deeds to catch up with him, and bite him on his assets. “Sigh, if only it were that easy in the real world.”

Hiaasen shows the complexity of exposing environmental concerns, greed, and corruption within the letter of the law. Yet, sometimes it takes more than paperwork. It can take bold action and strong spirit to bring an injustice to the public eye, and both books show simple, yet creative methods that the main characters develop without wanton destruction of property, or putting people in needless danger.

These books carry us along with pleasing suspense and a steady pace. The author provides neat encapsulations of each character's motivations that are often missing from adult fiction. While it might be missing the extreme characters and profanity of his adult novels, “Hoot” and “Flush” still reflect Hiaasen's usual indignation over the rape of his native Florida. Hiaasen’s appealing characters, one who may very well inspire young readers to question authority when necessary and act to protect the environment should appeal to kids of all ages. “Hmmm, maybe you don’t need to grow up to make a difference….”

No comments:

Post a Comment